Two Brothers Die In Silo Gas Incident

Two Brothers Die In Silo Gas Incident

Two brothers, Curt Boesl, 47, and Steven Boesl, 49, died this past weekend in a toxic gas silo incident on their dairy farm near the town of Millerville in northwest Minnesota. Curt’s 12-year-old-son Alex was also overcome by gas and is hospitalized.

Details of the incident are still sketchy. Curt and Alex apparently were working in the grain silo and were overcome by the toxic gas. Steven went in to rescue them, but he, too, was overcome.

Both Curt and Steven were experienced dairy farmers and volunteer firemen, and were well aware of the dangers of silo gas. It is unclear whether they ventilated the structure before entering it.

The tragic accident is a powerful reminder never to enter an enclosed structure, particularly one where grain or forage is fermenting, without properly ventilating it for several hours before entry. Always have safety equipment nearby, and always notify other family members or employees that you will be working in the structure in case you need immediate help.

You can read the entire report here.

Jim Dickrell
Mon, 12/23/2019 – 11:28


Dairy (General)


Dairy (General)

News Article

Image Caption
Cows eating forage.

Image Credit
Farm Journal, Inc.
Source: Dairy Herd